2.9.10

Canyons of the Spirit


Above is the final version of this painting. For the entire time, I worked with the painting flipped in the opposite direction (below) but I felt like there is more energy and movement with the above image. I was thinking of swapping out the "energy beams" for something less abstract like a creature or some travelers. Either way, I feel it tells an interesting and small story. Please critique, would love any feedback. The process is shown below, and it's best read from the bottom up! Thanks for stopping by!


I felt the composition was pretty good, so I began detailing some of the rocks and adding texture to the light emitted from the geyser pools. I was hoping the texture would make the area feel like there was something in the air.

Refining the composition, and adding a "ceiling" so that light would reflect up top and it would break the blackness in the sky.

Began the painting with some basic shapes and an idea. I wanted to paint a cavern but have the focal point filled with light at the end of the cave. Usually its the other way around, so having these pools or geysers of light allowed me to pull off the effect.